The class will start with a dramatic lighting setup for students to use the power of value, with a limited palette. The day 1 demo will cover the geometry of the facial structure in a facet-like way, and how light describes the facial structure, while the value structure describes the quality of lighting.
The second day will start with an introduction of colors. There is the actual mixing of color, vs applying the colors. Instead of concentrating on what exact colors should be used, I would like to concentrate on the concept of color composition or the relationships among colors–it should be able to be varied by the subject and by preference. The second demo will show how to create form using color temperature shifts under a more flat lighting situation.
The 3d demo will show how edges can change the paint quality of a painting.
All these 3 elements are completely intertwined. The entire approach is very much observation based, but at the same time with constant deliberate picking and choosing. The last day will try to create naturalist portraits with all these tools. I can do a demo during the morning, or let students work full day. It can be decided by the students.
I will work with each student one by one during their painting time.
Mary Qian grew up in Shanghai, China. Her artistic interest became a drive and following high school she chose to follow a career path in the US studying fine art. After graduating from Brigham Young University, Mary Moved to Chicago. She has been living and working there since. With the influence of naturalism and impressionism, Mary is pursuing a painting method that captures the sitter from life.
· 2021 American Impressionist Society Second Place
· 2021 AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase Second Place.
· 2018 2nd Annual AIS Impressions Small Works Showcase awards of excellence.
· 2017 American Impressionist Society Second Place
· 2016 Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
· 2015 Best of Chicago for Portraits
· 2015 Oil Painters of America National Silver Medal
· 2015 American Impressionist Society 3d Place
· 2014 Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
· 2013 Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Golden Medal
· 2013 Oil Painters of America National Silver Medal
· 2012 American Art Invitational Award of Excellence
· 2012 American Art Invitational Purchase Awards
· 2011 Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional Silver Medal
· 2011 American Impressionist Society Third Place
· 2011 Figurative Merit Award Winner at Scottsdale Salon of Fine Art
· 2010 Oil Painters of America Golden Medal
· 2010 American Impressionist Society First Place
· 2009 Dorothy Driehaus Mellin Fellowship Award
· 2008-09 Art Renewal Center (ARC) International Salon. Finalist (Figure)
· 2007 Salon International 2007 Best of show
· 2005 Gold Medal Show in Palette and Chisel, Chicago in , first place
· 2004 Artist’s Magazine annual international art Competition . First place (figure category)
· 2004 Gold medal show in Palette and Chisel , Second place.
· 2003 Artist’s Magazine annual international art Competition . Finalist(figure category)· · · · 2001 Helen Memorial Award in American Professional League Exhibition in New York City (Oil Painting)
There are no reviews yet.