Paint with an Understanding of the Masters
Brush strokes will be heavily emphasized as a means to depict form, achieve expressive power, and maintain a painting’s feeling of spontaneity and life. Robert will teach the importance of an understanding of values, edges, light, and color to create a powerful and memorable painting. Still-life and florals will be the subject matter of the workshop.
Robert Johnson is an “Oil Painters of America” Master. His workshop in oils will focus on developing an understanding of the essential elements of painting that have been passed on through the centuries from teacher to student, master to apprentice, and artist to artist.
Robert will demonstrate still life and give individual instruction and critiques.
* Palette (Necessary):Naples Yellow Light(Rembrandt) Cadmium Lemon; Cadmium Red Light; Cadmium Yellow Pale; Cadmium Orange; Permanent Alizarin; Permanent Rose; Yellow Ochre Pale; Cobalt Violet ; Indian Yellow (Windsor Newton) ; Ultramarine Blue; Transparent Oxide Red (Rembrandt) ; Transparent Oxide Brown (Rembrandt) Cobalt Blue; Terra Rosa; Viridian (Holbein); White (Gamblin , Williamsburg or Utrecht)Titanium White
* Optional colors to be kept in reserve for particular subject matter or effects or substituted for some of the necessary colors: Burnt Sienna Deep (substitute for Transparent Oxide Red); Cadmium Scarlet (substitute for Cadmium Red Light); Mauve, Blue shade (Winsor Newton); Raw Sienna; Cerulean Blue or Manganese Blue; Cinnabar Green; Brilliant Rose (Old Holland);
* Painting Surface: panel or canvas with non-absorbent priming. No larger than 16″ x 20” * Medium: Maroger, or sun thickened linseed oil
* Brushes: A variety, which would include filbert bristles in the range from nos. 1 to 8. At least one small sable no. 0, 1, or 2. At least one soft flat (sable, badger or mongoose) no. 4 or above.
* Palette knife: Small triangular wedge shaped painting knife.
* Attitude: Humility, honesty and a capacity to be completely absorbed in seeing and painting without concern for the opinions of others.
* Optional Equipment: Painting scraper, eye shade (baseball cap or visor)
*Please note that toxic solvents are not permitted at Miano Academy of Art.
Since becoming a full time [painter in 1987 Robert has won first place national awards in The Artist’s Magazine and Salmagundi Club(NY) and numerous other awards- including six awards from the Oil Painters of America (OPA) among which is the American Art Collector Magazine award of Excellence. In 2017 he was awarded the status of “Master” by OPA . He has had twenty one-man Shows in private galleries throughout the US. He teaches painting workshops throughout the US and Canada and has produced seven instructional videos.
He is the author of On Becoming a Painter(Sunflower Press, 2001) in which he explores his experiences in becoming an artist and his thoughts on the fundamentals of the painting process. His work has also been featured in numerous other books including the Best of Flower Painting II( North Light Books) and The Simple secret to Better Painting,(North Light Books, 2003). He is a featured artist in a book published in 2014 by North Light Books-Oil Painting with The Masters by Cindy Salaski.
He is represented by Sage Creek Gallery (Santa Fe, NM), Broadmoor Galleries, Colorado Springs, CO), and Anderson Gallery, (Saint Simons Island, GA) as well as other private Galleries in the US.
He divides his time between studios in Vienna, VA and Taos, NM.